The Importance of Warehouse Design and Planning Before Construction29 April 2021
There are multiple reasons for planning to build new facilities or expand an existing warehouse, such as satisfying growing business requirements and entering new markets. Other reasons include preventing operating slowdowns or obstacles and replacing outdated equipment with more and improved models.
Careful planning and budgeting before the start of the building are essential for a completely successful construction project. If you own or operate a warehouse facility and have plans to expand by building additional areas, give attention to the value and vital importance of detailed planning.
The Importance of Warehouse Design and Planning Before Construction
Important aspects of design and planning before the onset of your warehouse facility construction project include the following:
- Acquire Necessary Figures for Project Justification. During the early planning stages of your warehouse construction project for business expansion, you must acquire the essential numbers for justifying your building project. Be sure to consider your internal rate of return (IRR). IRR factors to consider include facility location as well as ownership, equipment, planned construction and lifespan.
- Decide Whether to Renovate or Build. It is often difficult to decide whether your company’s best interests will be better served by renovating your current warehouse space or building additional space. You should compare the budgetary needs for undertaking both of these projects. Determining whether a new location or your current address will ensure the best tax rate and direct transportation route is also a major part of your planning and decision making before any construction begins.
- Mobilise Your Entire Project Team. When you create a cohesive and cooperative project team that you can trust completely for this construction, you have cleared a major step in your project planning. You need highly qualified team members who can make smart decisions, learn from each new aspect of your project and think like entrepreneurs when necessary. Most of all, you need reliable, loyal members for this important team.
- Vet Your Contractors. You can save time and money by not working with established vendors for your warehouse construction project. New contractors will be highly motivated to do an excellent job for you to obtain a good rating and referral for future jobs. They can often supply the latest technology and skills as well, which can be of significant benefit to the successful and timely completion of your project.
- Allow Extra Time for Project Completion. You should remember that although it is carefully planned, your construction project may encounter delays and some setbacks before its completion. Allow some extra time for such unpredictable occurrences. Remember as well that the learning curve for operating new equipment on the job can be longer than expected. By allowing plenty of time for resolving these potential issues, you will help your project to be fully successful.
By consulting our experts at RMP Builders serving all of Melbourne and surrounding regions, you can receive top-calibre advice and building services for your warehouse construction project. Our experienced professionals will ensure that your project is skillfully completed on time, providing fine quality results that will completely satisfy and even surpass your building project expectations and needs.
Optimized by: Netwizard SEO